Why We Use $Profit
Stabilizers, as a multi-breed composite, cannot be accurately compared using any pure bred index. The $Profit index provides a fair and accurate comparison of any individual animal regardless of breed. $Profit uses weighted EPDs to determine an individual animal’s added value over their lifetime. As a Leachman Cooperator all our animals have $Profit values.
What traits are included in $Profit:
$Profit includes nearly every trait that impacts profitability. The effect of most traits on profit is fairly simple to understand. Here is the list of what is included and its effect:
- Calving ease = more calves
- Weaning and yearling EPD = more weight
- Fertility (days to conception) = more weight and more calves
- Carcass weight = worth more up to 1050 lbs.
- Marbling = valued based on grid premiums
- Ribeye area = value as impacts yield grade
- % Retail Product = more yield is more meat
- Cow mature size = in general bigger eats more
- Cow intake = more intake costs more
- Feedlot feed efficiency = cost of gain
Some traits are not so easily characterized for $Profit. Milk, for example, is a good thing until you get too much. When over +25, milk EPD has a more negative effect on fertility than it has a positive effect on weaning weight. There are a few traits not yet included in $Profit: longevity, structure, and disposition. These traits are important but difficult to express in dollars.
The $Profit index provides a fair and accurate comparison of any individual animal regardless of breed.